9.05.2010

Taking a side

This entry is part of my journal from Semester in the West. For all SITW journal entries, click here. For all SITW posts, including blog posts I wrote while on the program, click here. To learn more about the program, click here.



camp: Baker National Forest, Baker County, Oregon

context: After a week in Wallowa County, where we talked to ranchers about the negative impacts wolf reintroduction has had on their livelihood, we moved to Baker National Forest to do a week of ecology-related fieldwork with Suzanne Fouty, of the US Forest Service. Much of our curriculum, centered on the importance of having wolves in ecosystems to maintain natural balance between wolves and elk, which in turn keeps streams healthy. Also the coldest week of the semester—slicing cantaloupes for breakfast in 15 degree weather, anyone?


It’s about 9:30pm and there’s already ice on my sleeping bag. FML.

Anyway…now we’re hearing the other side of the wolves, and whole ecosystems, and I wonder what we want to accomplish. Is our goal, as young people, to take in as much information as possible so we can eventually form a firmly held opinion and be split into a side in the debate? Or do we learn this to learn the art of compromise, so we can make half changes and accomplish things without having that fire burning inside us? I guess it’s not that black and white, and I hope more than anything else that we’re learning how to be good people, even with our convictions. I want that fire, but maybe without the certainty. I’m not sure that’s even possible, and I feel too in flux to say anything certain about what I believe. Some days, I think a creative team of economists, environmentalists and politicians can save us from our own hubris. Some days, I think Western Civilization is going to collapse under the mountain of trash we’ve been building. Some days, I wish I had a chainsaw and dynamite so I could fight. Other times, I give up, go back to ordering drinks in single-use cups and running the AC in my car. Some days, I think eating real food is the most holy thing I can do, and some days I’d just rather be a person, with all of the privileges that entails. And no matter what, I’m never sure.

No comments: