9.04.2010

Ranchers and self-sufficiency

This entry is part of my journal from Semester in the West. For all SITW journal entries, click here. For all SITW posts, including blog posts I wrote while on the program, click here. To learn more about the program, click here.


camp: Baker National Forest, Baker County, Oregon

context: After a week of learning about ranching, wolf reintroduction, and the tensions between ecologists and ranchers in the area, we invited a bunch of ranchers to dine with us on our last night in Wallowa County, Oregon. Todd Nash is one of the ranchers who came to the dinner.

So yesterday we had our 41 person dinner with the ranchers and the environmentalists and biologists and whoever. I wasn’t a huge fan of the serious group discussion, but I had a really great conversation with rancher Todd Nash and Elli about USDA approved slaughterhouses and food production in general. I asked Todd what he thought about grass-fed meat, and he said that’s all he used to eat as a kid, and organic produce because his family grew it all themselves, and it was really weird for him to see people start wanting those things as consumers because it was just how he grew up. I wish I knew how to make a living off the land like that. I wish more people in general did. I feel like we lost all this knowledge about how to take care of ourselves sometime in the last fifty years and now there’s a growing movement to re-learn it. I wish I were more like Dana—baking bread and buying fruit by the tree and canning stuff. I suppose I can always learn, but I wish I’d learned as a kid from Nonny or Grandma or something. I wish parents cared as much about their children knowing how to garden as they did about their children doing well on the SAT. I feel like providing for yourself like that builds good things—self-reliance, a work ethic, a sense of community…I’m sure I’m romanticizing it a bit, but I see something different in the way those ranchers talk. It’s not a hobby or even just a job for them; it’s a way of life.

No comments: