10.30.2010

Halloween

Halloween is tomorrow, and the Westies have quite the series of events lined up. Our beer pong tournament (beer optional) kicks off tomorrow night. We have an elaborate bracket which will eventually pare our twelve teams down to a single champion pair. I’ve decided to partner with Matthew in a somewhat dubious combination, given that he’s never had a beer or played pong, and my total experience is one game of water pong in my dorm lounge last year. However, our team is named “Geopolitical Schadenfreude”, so my hopes are high.

Naturally, we’re also planning costumes (current plans include a tent, Lady Gaga and Winnie the Pooh) and an epic dance party. My cook crew is on duty tomorrow as well, though I have no idea what we’re making for dinner.

We’ve spent the last few days doing a writing workshop (sadly, our last) will William deBuys, an author who focuses on the nature, culture and history of the Southwest and particularly New Mexico. We camped out on his land and worked on an organic farm for a day in order to draw inspiration for character sketches. We harvested carrots and sunchokes, learned how to plow with a mule team, went for walks while Bill told us about the history and ecology of Northern New Mexico and read to each other in a wide field punctuated by cow pies.

I’ll post my character sketch and some other writing from our workshop with Craig soon. And hopefully I’ll be back to my political musings (no doubt the election will give me plenty of fodder). But for now, I’m just excited for Halloween.

However, if you’re American, at least eighteen and not convicted of a felony, for the love of God, VOTE. And have a good Halloween.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice, how was the writer? What was he like? Also, I have been wondering how beans play into your musings on vegetarianism. You didn't mention them as a staple, and it seems to me they are above soy and wheat.
Aunt T