7.17.2011

Why I want to be a journalist

I want to travel beyond the reaches of everyday experience and write a map which lays a clear, twisting path through the wilderness of distant places.

I want to nestle myself deep into the recesses of something awful and captivating, immerse myself in conflict and wake up shaking, half-remembering nightmares where the horror around me was able to penetrate through the skin of my objectivity.

I want to stare truth unflinchingly in the face.
            
I want to go to places abandoned and forgotten and hold the eyes of the world open until they’re blurred with tears.

I want to write about the dark, terrible depths of the human condition and the strength and courage that exist precisely because of the evil lurking inside.

I want to pull people through dark tunnels and lead them towards a small glimmer of redemption barely visible at the very end.

I want to write stories that ignite deep-burning fires inside of people instead of giving them hope.

I want to show suffering and despair with such clarity and conviction that the world never feels compelled to relive the events that lead to them.

I want to bear witness to the destruction of the natural world and write eulogies for places we’ve sacrificed while hoping, without expectation that we’ll learn from our mistakes.

I want to be as objective as humanly possible when reporting on anything, and as much of an activist as possible when selecting what that anything is.

I want to share stories that have been forgotten, give voice to the silent and remind myself that truth, like evil, is never as simple as you’d like it to be.

No comments: